WHIM PRODUCTIONS is now accepting submissions for the
4th "alphabet soup" lgbtqIA+ short play festival
In April 2019, Whim Productions is producing the 4th annual Alphabet Soup: Stories from Queer Voices short play festival. We invite LGBTQIA+ playwrights living in the Greater Kansas City area to submit works for consideration. We will select up to 8 works.
There are no restrictions on topic or tone. Plays can be campy, naughty (but not too naughty), serious, topical, or even scary. Past festivals have also featured storytellers and monologues. The only plot requirement is that at least one of the integral characters is a member of the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Playwrights must identify as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Plays will be workshopped as a group by the selected playwrights. We ask that the selectees commit to attending at least two private workshops to support the other writers.
- Submissions are due Oct 31, 2018.
The Submission Guidelines
- Email your submission in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit one file with the title of the piece, your name, email address, and phone number.
- Submit a separate file with your work. The file must meet the following requirements:
- Standard US play format
- No identifying information about the playwright
- Title of play and page number on every page of the script
- Works should be no longer than 15 pages and/or should read no longer than 15 minutes. No full-length plays, one acts, or musicals.
- Works longer than requested may not be read.
- Keep in mind that shows are produced on a small budget. Elaborate sets, multiple scene changes, costumes, or excessive props will greatly affect chances of getting produced.
- The playwrights whose works are selected will receive a modest stipend.
- The production will take place in April 2019.
- Selected playwrights will be notified by Nov 15, 2018.
Send any questions to email@example.com.