WHIM PRODUCTIONS is now accepting submissions for the
3rd annual "alphabet soup" lgbtqIA short play festival
This October, Whim Productions is producing the third annual Alphabet Soup: Stories from Queer Voices short play festival. Over three nights, we’ll present a series of short plays focused on the LGBTQIA community.
We’re inviting LGBTQIA playwrights living in the Greater Kansas City area to submit works for consideration to be in this year’s festival.
The ideal plays will share day-to-day moments of queer life. There are no restrictions on tone: They can be campy, naughty (but not too naughty), serious, topical, or even scary. The only requirement is that the plays feature one or more members of the LGBTQIA community as an integral part of the plot.
Submissions are due September 15, 2017
- First page should include the title of the piece, name of playwright, mailing address, email address, and phone number.
- Second page should include a play synopsis that, in 500 words or less, details the:
- Names and brief descriptions of main characters
- Main story arc or plot
- Categorization: comedy, black comedy, drama, tragedy, etc.
- The body of the play must not have any identifying information about the playwright
- Please include the title of the play and page numbers on every page of the script.
- Plays must be no longer than 15 pages, or read no longer than 15 minutes. No full-length plays or one acts. We’re also not accepting submissions of musicals.
- Plays longer than requested or that do not meet the production theme or submitted without synopsis will not be read.
Keep in mind that shows are produced on a small budget, so elaborate sets, scene changes, costumes, or excessive props will greatly affect chances of getting produced.
The Submission Address:
Using Alphabet Soup Submission as the subject line, please submit a PDF version of your play to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also send any questions to the same address.